Ice dams form when melting ice and snow refreeze around the eaves of your roof and back up under the shingles, causing leaks and water damage to interior walls and ceilings. There are ways to prevent this from happening.
- Make sure your gutters are clear of leaves and debris
- Check and seal where air could leak from your house to the attic such as vents
- Have your roof and attic inspected for proper ventilation and insulation
- Look for signs of inadequate ventilation such as rust spots, rusty nails or mildew
- Keep snow from accumulating on the lower three to six feet of your roof